Thursday, September 13, 2007

Backcountry Fly-Fishing in Yellowstone


My narrative travel guide about fly-fishing the Lamar River in Yellowstone National Park is featured in the inaugural issue of Traverse, a new online magazine published by Matador Travel.

Here's an excerpt:

Fly-fishing can be an art, but my tactics are industrial. I've only got one leader, the thin piece of monofilament to which the fly is tied. That's not enough line to allow for changing patterns, and with camp still five miles up-trail, there's no time to bother about fancy casts. Instead, when the trail curves close to the river I set my pack against a dry pine log, change leather hiking boots for rubber water shoes and pick my way to the middle of the stream.


There's no one to help if I slip or turn an ankle, so I move carefully across the riverbed, concentrating on each cold braid of current. All I hear and sense and smell and feel is water and air and the dull musical growl of river rocks tumbling downriver in summer snowmelt from the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness. I'm utterly content and totally alone.

.......

This issue of Traverse Magazine also contains articles on the Burning Man festival and the band Balkan Beatbox. It's available for free at the following link:

Traverse Magazine

Here's the direct link to my article:

Backcountry Fly-Fishing

Read Traverse, and if you like the articles, please subscribe! It's free!

Off on my bike...Montreal to Halifax!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I justed learned how to fly fish. The few paragraphs posted on the blog are excellent. Can't wait to read the entire article!

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home