Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Luck and Passport Pages

A quick post from Bangkok -

All this travel has added up, and filled up my passport, so this morning I made my way to the U.S. Embassy for new pages. When I tried to do this in the states before leaving, it involved wading through one of those excruciating phone menus and learning that they needed 6 weeks and $60 for express service - no thanks.

Bureaucrats are the same across the world, so my expectations weren't too high when I arrived at the Embassy - but shock and surprise - it took all of 5 minutes to walk up to a desk, give them my passport, complete a simple form and walk out with 20 fresh new pages of possibility, not a baht lighter in the wallet.

Wow.

At lunch, I ate the last raw oysters from the buffet. In Bangkok. Oysters. Raw. From a buffet. And 5 hours later I've still got no complaints beyond mild constipation.

Yee Haw.

Off to buy some lottery tickets -

Next post probably Saturday from Siam Reap, Cambodia, where I'll be working on a Bhutan guide for talesofasia.com.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tim,

Brad from Takikawa, Japan here. Hopefully you haven't been gone long enough to forget. =) Hope you're keeping well mate. Just wanted to say that this blog is fantastic. I check it regularly.

Ki o tsukete, ne!

10:57 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

Hey Brad, thanks for the note, enjoy the deep Hokkaido powder and keep in touch, give my best to everyone -

Ki o tsuke imasu.

12:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home