Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Hokkaido Field Study Program

This blog was born in the mountains of Hokkaido, the northernmost island of Japan, where I lived from 2004 - 2006. This fall, I'll return to Hokkaido to lead a 3-credit field study program through Sterling College.

The Hokkaido Field Study program compares modern and traditional approaches to sustainability and environmental stewardship. We will lend a hand with the rice harvest on a family farm, climb to remote hotsprings in the Daisetsuzan mountains, explore the Tokyo metropolis, and meditate in Buddhist temples.

The trip lasts for two weeks: September 1st to September 15th. Most spots are filled, but shoot me a note if you want to join us. College students can choose to receive 3 credits from Sterling College.

I can't really contain my excitement for this trip. There are so many friends to visit, foods to eat, mountains to climb...I feel a great burst of happy nostalgia when I think about Hokkaido.


And no, I'm not overly concerned about the nuclear threat.

Japan is a big country, and the Fukushima reactor is a long, long way from Hokkaido.

If the radiation is a problem in Tokyo in September, we may fly direct to Hokkaido, but that strikes me as an unlikely precaution.

The trip will cost around $3,500 for Sterling students, including airfare from Vermont, thanks in part to a generous grant from the Freeman Foundation. I'm not sure of the cost for a non-Sterling student - probably in the $5,000 range.

More info is on the Sterling College Global Field Study page.

Top photo: Buddha, by Ryan Libre, Takikawa, Hokkaido.

Bottom Photo: Benzo-san, by Ryan Libre, Shintotsukawa, Hokkaido.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Fried Toast said...

Radiation shouldn't be an issue in Tokyo. I can't imagine that it will impact you at all other than you'll probably have a lot of room on the airplane to yourselves. Friend of mine just flew into Tokyo today from Italy and she said there were 25 people on the plane.

When you make it down to Tokyo, drop me a line :)

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Tampa Oven Repair said...

Thanks for writingg this

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home