Wednesday, October 10, 2007

"These chili peppers make my asshole burn."


One of the few phrases I know in Dzongkha, the language of Bhutan's fortress monasteries, is "Ema Sawachen, Abou Tsaome", or, "These chili peppers make my asshole burn."

This is a very useful phrase to know in Bhutan. Why? Because it makes people laugh and breaks the ice.

Nothing shatters cultural barriers like a good belly laugh.

For more of my practical and easy tips to learn a foreign language, check out my post at BraveNewTraveler, the online travel magazine where I'm now a contributing editor.

Here's the link:


7 Tips to Learn a Foreign Language on the Road.

Thanks for reading :)


Monk photo by Liz Burns, Thimphu, Bhutan. Used with permission.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger japanhoch said...

Great article on BNT. You really hit some it on the dot on breaking the language barrier.

6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home