Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Jet Lag

I'm back in the US of A, cat on my lap nuzzling at my hand as I type, snow on the hills outside. My parents drove 8 hours roundtrip through sleet on dark highways to meet me at the airport with a bag of all my favorite foods - smoked cheddar cheese, dark Vermont bread, a bag of baby carrots, a Fuji apple - to tell the truth, the main reason why I feel comfortable traveling so far is because I know I have a wonderful family waiting for me back home.

Spring in Vermont is a good time to write, and that's what I'll be doing for the next few months. Look for more content on Matador Travel and a piece on Luang Prabang should be out soon in the travel section of a pretty good sized paper - exciting times. I'm thinking of taking a writing course this summer, but by June I'm sure the high mountains of the West will prove irresistible. I've got some inside info on wilderness areas in Colorado scrawled on various pages of my travel journal, much of it hard to decipher - names of towns that are names of rocks, like Marble and Basalt, something about a Frying Pan and a rather disturbing note that reads - BLOOD OF CHRIST!!!! (spanish) - that I believe dates to a late night encounter with two Mountain Divas in Vang Vieng, Laos. Clarifications and suggestions are welcome.

Good times.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

there are some great mountains in the northwest...plus a rainforest. we can camp out in a ghost mining town, monte cristo, and catwalk out to peaks.

there's a good chance i'll be living in europe come fall, so you better make it out here this summer!

7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you have been everywhere...did a search for blog japan and got your blog...

8:07 AM  
Blogger David Miller said...

Tim,

welcome back man. Got all the beta you might want on the Rockies region--I've camped and kayaked in the Crystal River drainage--the town of Crystal itself not to be missed. Nearby Fryingpan river also beautiful. Sangre de Cristo mountains in Southern CO + Great Sand Dunes Natl. monument are good, the dunes being some of the most fascinating terrain to explore at night anywhere in the world. hit me up if you want when you come through.

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home