Sunday, February 11, 2007

Matador Travel - Social Networks for a Passionate World

The idea of online communities has always creeped me out a little bit. Life happens in the real world, not on a glowing screen. How wierd and pathetic, I thought, for people to get sucked into an online fantasy and never leave the house.

In the past few months I've changed my mind. I'm now registered on two networking sites, facebook.com and matadortravel.com. Virtual valentines that cost real money still strike me as peurile and disturbing, but I don't feel as if I'm living in a fantasy world when I read a Matador article about, say, enlightened surf bums in Mexico. Instead, I'm connecting with a real person doing really cool things in the real world. I'm in Cambodia. He's in Mexico. Matador is a few hard-working guys in San Francisco. And we can have a conversation.

Incredible.

The Matador Vision -

"Travel is a vehicle for uniting individual voices, minds and ideas. As travelers, we are, in a sense, freelance ambassadors; not only do we return with stories of other cultures and ways of life, but we also share our own culture and ways of life with the people we meet along the way. We at Matador believe this exchange is essential to bringing about positive development in our rapidly changing world."

Click HERE to go to the Matador mainpage.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home